Sunday, June 1, 2014

Weekly Reading 2

  1. How have these readings changed, confirmed, or complicated your thinking about the effects of digital media on young people's abilities to read and write?
The readings confirm for me that digital media helps students ability to read and write. Kids take more time to think about well-constructed tweets or Facebook updates than they do on any writing assignment.  I feel that the more exposure to reading and writing the better. A child in school cannot freely think and write like they do through digital media. We constrict their creativity by making them write research papers (although they do need to know HOW to write one) or “read the following excerpt and write a summary about what you read”.  I completely agree with the NCTE’s view that when a child who comes from a home where school is not a primary focus, out-of-school writing may change their attitudes towards school. Students are drawn to technology and express themselves without realizing they are practicing writing skills.

  1. 2.   How have these readings changed, confirmed, or complicated your thinking about the effects of school-based writing instruction on young people abilities to read and write?

I do not feel like we focus on writing enough in school but how do we cram it all in?  I love the Scholastic’s article that has fun ways to promote digital literacy in the classroom.  The entire article is how I view the use of phones in class. I am not bothered by a student who sends a text every now and then or looks at their phone for whatever the reason. If a child cannot read, how can a child answer a text message? The lingo that students create is thinking outside the box.

  1. 3.   What changes do you think educators need to make so that reading and writing in school have a more positive effect on children's abilities to read and write?

I think that educators need to ‘loosen’ up when it comes to adhering to strict guidelines. I think sometimes we all fall into the trap of “you must write a five paragraph essay including the following…” This inhibits the students’ ability to challenge them into expressing ideas differently. There are so many different avenues we can explore when we have a student write. Create a web page, complete PowerPoint presentations (which also help with public speaking), create cartoon strips, make MP3’s of a student’s work, or picture collage. A lot of times teachers feel as though they do not have time to create such elaborate lesson plans but the information is on the Internet yet some still refuse to broaden their horizons.


 I chose this image as it represents the way the world is becoming. Children are growing up with technology that is only now becoming readily available to just about everyone. I have watched two year-olds grab their mother's cell phone, open it up, and then switch the pages to find the app they are searching to play. 



The YouTube video below has a mixture of students and educators talking about digital media in general. The students are saying that they use it everyday, why buy textbooks when they are online, and the way they communicate and write is done digitally. The educators are saying that we need to have a serious discussion on how we can use media to enhance the learning. We are two steps behind the kids!




Works cited:

Can Texting Help With Spelling? | Scholastic.com. (n.d.). Scholastic Teachers. Retrieved May 30, 2014, from http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/can-texting-help-spelling

dot.Momming. (2011, August 21). : Part 2: Digital Literacy and Learning to Read. Retrieved June 1, 2014, from http://dotmomming.blogspot.com/2011/08/part-2-digital-literacy-and-learning-to.html

5 comments:

  1. Students now are growing up with technology from the time they are born. I think this changes is going to influence the education system even more in the next 10 years. You wrote about how the school system needs to loosen up about the strict guidelines of an essay writing. I agree but feel we need to create a guide line for other forms of writing. As long as we are teaching the students all the different forms of writing and proper place for each form I feel we will be doing our job as educators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candi,

    First, your picture is great, it is perfect to symbolize that children are starting younger and younger when it comes to the use of technology. Secondly, I strongly agree about exploring different ways to let students write. Yes, it does take a little longer to do these things sometimes, where as a paper it clean cut, but in the long run it is more beneficial to the student if you allow them to have a choice. You could vote as a class on what to do or you could let students have a choice. If they want to create a PowerPoint---great! If they want to write a 5 page paper--- great! If the want to make a blog--- great! All people learn differently and this way it allows students the opportunity to express their writing capabilities in anyway they choose to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My view changed about the effects of digital media effects of school-based writing, after reading the assigned articles. At first, I thought digital media had a negative impact on school-based writing, but I am not so sure. I agree with you that digital media helps students ability to read and write. I also agree with your statement about students taking time to compose tweets and Facebook posts. I have noticed my teenage cousins paying attention to what they post on Facebook as well as their grammar.
    I do not agree with students using cell phones in the classroom unless it is for emergencies because I feel that it is a distraction. You are right “If a child can not read, how can a child answer a text?” Text messaging gives students the opportunities to read and write as well as a way to improve their skills. The Scholastic book article, states, “Why would an educator ever want to discourage kids from playing with words?” “The more adventurous kids are spelling, usage, and grammar the better.” I couldn’t agree more, texting can provide an opportunity to spell, read, write, and invent spelling and invent abbreviations. I also enjoyed reading this article too. Btw I love the picture too! Great way to summarize the digital media and way it's changing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My views on cell phones are different due to my classroom structure. I should have been more clear. All of my students have severe and profound disabilities and if their phone vibrates they are getting a text from a family member. A smiley face or an I love you text brightens my children's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candi, I agree with your entire discussion post. As an English teacher, I feel there is not enough writing in most schools, and too often the writing is meant to be rigid and mechanical ( for evaluation purposes) like the 5 paragraph essay you mentioned. I think that kind of writing instruction can be even more harmful to writing skills than anything regular social media use could do. I am starting to look for ways to make more of the writing they want to do to happen in school.

    ReplyDelete