Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Motocross: multimodal



This is my son's life in a nutshell :) I am a sports nut and am obsessed with the sport of motocross. Hope everyone enjoys!



  • Is the typeface attractive and readable?
I think the font was easy to read and I only used one to three words per slide. I could have used a larger font but I chose a white background so the text really stood out. The audience could read the text quickly and easily.
  • Are there any statistics or other data that would be easier to read in a chart, graph, or table
I did not use any statistics but I could have added a slide to show a typical season of travel. I had one image of a google map that had our destination from home on it.
  • Is high-contrast text, including boldface and all caps, brief enough to be legible? 
After viewing my presentation again, one can almost look at the picture and read the text at the same time. I used boldface  fonts and capital letters.  I wouldn't want the text to be much bigger as it would take away from the images.
  • What do images and other graphics contribute? Do they illustrate a concept? highlight an important point? show something that is difficult to describe in words alone? If the images and other graphics are only decorative, consider removing them.
I chose a subject matter that is close to my heart and is not a mainstream sport. I feel that watching my presentation is indicative of a racer's life. There are not any images that I would remove as they tell the story of the sport. I chose simple photographs that I had taken just in the past few months and if I had added more, it might have led to confusion. The slide with my son on the track titled "New Home" was a little confusing. I should have chose a picture from the facilities website.
  • Are images and other graphics the right size—big enough to read or to see the important detail?
I think that the social media slide may have been too small or I could have just put one picture of my son's site. The other images are in focus and go right along with the description.
  • Do images have an obvious focus? Will readers see the part that matters? If not, consider if you can crop the image.
I think that using real photographs personalized my presentation. Each slide has an obvious focus and with the exception of the 'social media'' slide, I do not feel that I would change the size of the pictures.
  • Are the charts, graphs, maps, or other graphics clear and informative? 
I did not use charts but I did include a video that I felt was important. The clip was small but captured the intensity of the sport. The images were informative and the X-ray of my son's leg was prophetic! 

  • If color is used, is it appropriate to the audience and purpose? Does color direct emphasis where it belongs? Are too many colors used?
I did not use color in the background because I felt it would take away from the photographs. I wanted the images to stand out and not get lost in a color scheme of a slide. 
  • How do all the formal elements, pictorial as well as textual and symbolic, contribute to your emotional response or intellectual understanding of the concept? 
I think that my presentation showed the emotion, intensity, and hard work that I was trying to convey.  Any person who had not heard of motocross would learn basic information and the photographs were easy to remember.  I feel that in a few months I could ask someone a basic question about the sport and they would remember a few of the slides.

7 comments:

  1. What interesting tidbit did you learn from the presentation? I learned about all the dedication that is put into this sport. The part I liked the best from this presentation was the video that included a typical day of a motocross rider. However, the video only showed the positive aspects, where as the presentation displayed the downside of the sport which was the possibility of an injury.
    What image best supported your understanding of, or interest level in, the information? The video increased my level of interest and I thought that this really completed the presentation and added complexity as well as a better understanding to the presentation.
    Were there any combination of image and words that caused confusion or could have been combined differently to improve understanding?
    The images matched the thoughts completely. Again, the video really added an extra dimension to the presentation. Great job! I really enjoyed watching your presentation and your son has a lot of dedication to the sport and I wish him the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The video is of the national championship at Loretta Lynn's actual house! It's the Super Bowl of the sport as there are only 42 kids who make it per class. Last year there were 36,000 people from all over the world that tried to qualify for this race and only 1,386 people make it 👍🏁🏁

    ReplyDelete
  3. What interesting tidbit did you learn from the presentation?
    In viewing your presentation I learned about the sport of motor cross. I realize that it takes hard work and dedication to excel in this sport. I know that with every sport there are risks of injury but motor cross presents a greater risk because of speed.

    What image best supported your understanding of, or interest level in, the information? The slides showing the extreme injury where plates and screws were installed in a femur was an eye-opener. May your son be safe.
    Were there any combination of image and words that caused confusion or could have been combined differently to improve understanding?
    No, the presentation was nicely done, very organized and concise. The information given in this presentation was very interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. • What interesting tidbit did you learn from the presentation? Since I knew absolutely nothing about motocross racing before this presentation, the entire project was a learning experience! The most interesting part, if I were required to choose, would be how much work (i.e. physical conditioning and healthy eating) is required for this sport.

    • What image best supported your understanding of, or interest level in, the information? The image with the most impact would have to be the illustration of how dangerous the sport is. It made me cringe to see the incision; however, it is a graphic detail of what the sport entails.

    • Were there any combination of image and words that caused confusion or could have been combined differently to improve understanding? If I had to choose, I would like to know more about the “new home” slide. Had I not read your introductory post about your son moving away, I would have been asking what the “new home” meant.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. What interesting tidbit did you learn from the presentation?
    I did not realize how many motocross racers launch out together in a race. They are all piled on top of each other like in horse races,which makes it even more dangerous if someone wrecks. I also didn’t realize how young the competitors are and how much traveling is involved. Interesting!
    2. What image best supported your understanding of, or interest level in, the information?
    Slide #7 contained 2 pictures of examples of social media snapshots. These images and the video on slide 11 assisted in providing content that resonated with me personally.
    3. Were there any combination of image and words that caused confusion or could have been combined differently to improve understanding?
    No, the information and images were organized appropriately and provided clear understanding of subject. She did a nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What interesting tidbit did you learn from the presentation?

    I guess when I thought about the sport of motocross I wasn’t thinking you had to train in the weight room and eat healthy. Obviously you do to be able to race the way your son was I guess I just never put those items together before watching your presentation.

    What image best supported your understanding of, or interest level in, the information?

    I would say both slides 3 and 5 helped with my understanding. I am assuming as well that you son works out at the GPF gym?

    Were there any combination of image and words that caused confusion or could have been combined differently to improve understanding?

    I don’t think I was confused by any slide but maybe just brought up more question as I don’t know a whole lot about motocross.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your kind words. We were in Indiana this weekend racing a huge national and Anthony broke his leg :( This is the ugly side of the sport. I have watched my son cry, go into shock, ride in an ambulance, and the look on his face has me haunted. He knew immediately when we got to him that he broke his leg. He was going uphill to hit a jump (running at about 45-50 mph) and the back tire hit a hole. The bike catapulted him about 30 or so feet into the air and he slammed into the next jump. He landed on his one leg. The bone will heal and he will be fine but his mental state is the sad part. He has said over and over "I did everything right, I have trained harder this year than ever, I gave up everything to move and dedicate my life to this...etc". I got a phone call this evening from friends of ours that are still in Indiana and a boy from Kentucky unfortunately died on a jump this morning. This sport can be life altering in both a good and bad way.

    ReplyDelete